314 Day was created in 2006 by Young Dip and Tatum Polk to bring St. Louis together – and to help make 314 Day (and the days leading up to it) a celebration that gets bigger every year, with widespread participation by residents, businesses, organizations, schools and more.
Collaboratively, the 314 Day Foundation and STLMade (an initiative of Greater St. Louis, Inc.) contribute to the celebration in many ways – one being the commission of an annual 314 Day design by a graphic designer/illustrator from the metro to commemorate the day in both marketing and merchandise. We also promote that artist through our storytelling on theSTL.com with a featured story and photoshoot, as well as include them in media opportunities and events as they’re available.
The objective of the 314 Day design is to represent the St. Louis metro and 314 Day together in a positive, celebratory way uniquely in the finalist’s style.
The only mandatories are that “314” must be included in the design. The rest is up to you.
Open call to graphic designers/illustrators who:
- Are at least 18 years of age AND
- Are a resident of any of the following throughout both 2023 and 2024: (in Missouri) St. Louis City, St. Louis County, St. Charles County, Jefferson County, Franklin County, Warren County, Lincoln County, Bond County and (in Illinois) Calhoun County, Clinton County, Jersey County, Macoupin County, Madison County, Monroe County, St. Clair County AND
- Are able to translate their work into a 2-D digital medium and turn over print-ready, layered .ai files AND
- Can be available to be interviewed for a feature story on theSTL.com (see story from 2023) as well as for possible on-location, local media interviews (as they are available; but is not a factor in selection) leading up to 314 Day 2024 AND
- Neither they nor their immediate family works or volunteers for the 314 Day Foundation, Greater St. Louis, Inc., or any of their agencies.
The Selected Artist
- The selected artist will be selected and notified the week of October 23, 2023
- The only design mandatory is that “314” must be included in the design. The year should not be included (so merch is evergreen).
- 3-5 different initial design concepts for selection/feedback/revisions
- Ultimately, one design is selected and fully executed with primary and simplified/secondary versions of the final selection in .ai format
- Selected artist will receive a one-time design fee of $4,000, invoiced upon delivery of final artwork files. They will also have an interview on theSTL.com and potentially participate in local media opportunities or events in February/March 2024 based on their availability.
- Preference is that artist is in town for 314 Day week (March 9-16, 2024) to participate in events or media opportunities but is not a factor in selection.
- Usage of the final design includes, but is not limited to:
- Merchandise (giveaways + sales, such as, but not limited to: t-shirts, bags, notebooks, prints, stickers, temporary tattoos, etc.)
- Social media graphics
- Key visual for earned media coverage
- Projection graphic for the iconic James S. McDonnell Planetarium
- Interactive element at 314 Day events (depending on the design)
- Final design will be owned and used by the 314 Day Foundation and Greater St. Louis, Inc. in 2024 314 Day materials and marketing. Artist can use final art in self-promotion but are not to sell their own 314 Day merch, etc.
*Please do not send new or spec designs at this time. Only the selected artist will be asked to create 314 Day design concepts (one design to be selected as the final) and be compensated.
Submit the following 5 elements to email@example.com by 11:59 p.m., CDT, Tuesday, September 26, 2023:
- 5 – 15 examples of previously completed projects/art* that represent your style and body of work. These can be a portfolio website URL or attached files (.jpg, .gif, .png, .tif, .mp3, .mpeg, .mp4, or .pdf). Max of 10MB for all attachments.
- Describe your connection to the St. Louis metro and why you’re interested in this project (150-300 words)
- Describe your perfect 314 Day (5-150 words)
- A resumé or bio no more than two pages (.pdf, .doc or .docx) or a paragraph in the email submission no more than 250 words.
- Your social handles (if any)
The Selection Process
A Selection Committee comprised of representatives from the 314 Day Foundation and Greater St. Louis, Inc. will choose 3-5 entrants who will be shared with the 314 Day Steering Committee for selection of the (1) finalist.
5 September 2023: Call for Graphic Designers & Illustrators announced
26 September 2023: Submissions due by 11:59 p.m., CDT
Week of 23 October 2023: Selected Finalist announced (first via email, then once confirmed, via 314 Day Foundation, STLMade, and GSL social channels)
10 November 2023: First round of design options due from finalist
17 November 2023: Design selected + any feedback
1 December 2024: Final design files due from finalist
January 2024: Contact made to begin feature story for theSTL.com
Late February/Early March 2024: Social teaser campaign for the full design reveal
9-16 March 2024: Week of 314 Day 2024 celebrations
About 314 Day Foundation
314Day is more than a party, more than a dance, more than a hashtag, and more than a trending topic on Twitter. We live with pride for the city all year long, and the date really resonates with us. Founded in 2006, 314Day is about loving and learning the history of St. Louis and preparing for a better history of it in the future. Using the city’s first area code and corresponding date, we celebrate the City and the people that make it special through special events, supporting small businesses, and giving back through the 314Day Scholarship established at Harris-Stowe State University.
STLMade is a movement within the St. Louis metro that shines a light on the amazing things our innovative, tenacious, big-hearted people are doing. It’s supported by a region-wide collaboration of residents, local leaders, institutions, organizations, businesses big and small, and nonprofits helping to tell our story – that St. Louis is a place where you can start up, stand out and stay. STLMade is an initiative of Greater St. Louis, Inc.
About Greater St. Louis, Inc.
Greater St. Louis, Inc. combines the strengths of five legacy organizations — AllianceSTL, Arch to Park, Civic Progress, Downtown STL, Inc., and the St. Louis Regional Chamber — to unify around a common vision and strategy for fostering inclusive economic growth.