How much do you know about the LGBTQ+ community and culture in the St. Louis metro?
St. Louis has two major Pride events. One is Downtown, and one is here in Tower Grove Park. What organizations run them?
- PrideFest (Downtown)
- Tower Grove Pride (Tower Grove Park)
- (Alton, Soulard, and St. Charles have Pride events too. St. Louis also hosts Black Pride STL.)
What is the statewide LGBTQ+ advocacy organization? It’s headquartered here in St. Louis and was founded in 1986. This organization promotes equality at local, state, and national levels.
- PROMO Missouri (previously known as PACE and PREP)
What is the nationwide LGBTQ+ advocacy group for seniors? St. Louis has a strong local chapter that’s affiliated with PROMO Missouri. It works to educate and empower aging LGBTQ+ people about their rights and advocates for policy changes at state and local levels in addition to working with retirement and care facilities to ensure that all people are respectfully treated.
- Sage of Promo Fund (Used to be called MetroSage)
What St. Louis-based trans organization supports the community in multiple ways, including a food pantry, free STI testing, free name change assistance, and Alix’s Closet, which offers free clothes?
- Metro Trans Umbrella Group
- (TransParent has local chapters in St. Louis and St. Charles. It’s a national organization that helps with trans youth.)
St. Louis has two media outlets (newspapers and blogs) that cover regional LGBTQ+ news. What are they?
Steven Louis Brawley founded the St. Louis LGBT History Project, which catalogs and chronicles St. Louis’ queer past. The Project has been working with a local museum to create Gateway to Pride. The exhibit is currently online and will take physical form in 2025. Which museum houses Gateway to Pride?
There are three LGBTQ+ choirs in St. Louis. Can you name them?
- Black Tulip Chorale
- CHARIS: The St. Louis Women’s Chorus
- Gateway Men’s Chorus
- (BandTogether is a band and color guard, ready for those with an instrumental gift.)
Name the 20th-century queer icon who was a St. Louis native and became a famous dancer and singer in Paris.
Connect with us: